Sunday, 18 January 2015

The feel good Charlotte

 

Last night I was in need of a confidence boost and sometimes the only thing that does the trick is a bit of sewing, so I emptied my basket of traced patterns on the floor to hunt for something I knew would go together quickly, easily, and would make me feel good. Obviously the first thing I looked for was my Georgia pattern (a guaranteed feel good pattern) but remembered that last time I used it I messed it up and threw it out. At 10pm and in the mood I was in, I wasn't about to re-trace it so I made a Charlotte skirt instead using some African wax print effect fabric I got from Abakhan in the summer. I've used this pattern a couple of times as part of a dress, but this is my first Charlotte skirt.

I never get on very well with the front of skirts - the darts are never quite right and I don't know whether it's because they're in the wrong place or whether I should take them out, that's next on my list of fitting problems to figure out.

I lengthened the waistband a bit to include a tab - I'm not a fan of zips that go to the top of the waistband. I was going to add a slit but completely forgot about it while I was sewing the centre back seam, so it's not as easy to walk up stairs as I would have liked but that's a minor detail.

I really love this skirt, and it definitely did the job. This was one of thoses fabrics that I loved but thought I wouldn't use because it's a bit to bold for me it so I'm very happy to have proved myself wrong.

 

 

 

14 comments:

  1. Ummm hello?! This is gorgeous! And the fabric choice was a stroke of genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm a sucker for these prints

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! And a nifty bit of pattern matching there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, although the placement was just dumb luck!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! The print is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! Looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can see it getting a lot of wear!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! I absolutely love the fabric print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this looks amazing! I love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete