Sunday, 18 January 2015

The feel good Charlotte

 

Last night I was in need of a confidence boost and sometimes the only thing that does the trick is a bit of sewing, so I emptied my basket of traced patterns on the floor to hunt for something I knew would go together quickly, easily, and would make me feel good. Obviously the first thing I looked for was my Georgia pattern (a guaranteed feel good pattern) but remembered that last time I used it I messed it up and threw it out. At 10pm and in the mood I was in, I wasn't about to re-trace it so I made a Charlotte skirt instead using some African wax print effect fabric I got from Abakhan in the summer. I've used this pattern a couple of times as part of a dress, but this is my first Charlotte skirt.

I never get on very well with the front of skirts - the darts are never quite right and I don't know whether it's because they're in the wrong place or whether I should take them out, that's next on my list of fitting problems to figure out.

I lengthened the waistband a bit to include a tab - I'm not a fan of zips that go to the top of the waistband. I was going to add a slit but completely forgot about it while I was sewing the centre back seam, so it's not as easy to walk up stairs as I would have liked but that's a minor detail.

I really love this skirt, and it definitely did the job. This was one of thoses fabrics that I loved but thought I wouldn't use because it's a bit to bold for me it so I'm very happy to have proved myself wrong.

 

 

 

Friday, 16 January 2015

Squares project: week two

This week I tried my hand at a bit of embroidery using a chandelier transfer from Sublime Stitching's Craft Pad.


It took much longer to do than last week's attempt at smocking with less reward, and as much as I would love to be able to produce beautiful embroidery (I envy my Mum's talent for it), I got bored of it after a while (partly why it is unfinished). I do like the idea of it though, and it has inspired me to finish some of the cross stitch projects that have been in a drawer for years.

Any future embroidery I do on any of my projects will be very simple and very small.

 

 

Friday, 9 January 2015

Squares project: week one

Week one was easy enough to do but I have no idea how I'm going to blog about them each week. There are lots of notes I want to keep incase I do the techniques again, but they probably aren't going to be interesting/relevent to anyone reading this. Some weeks I might just post a photo with a link to the tutorial I used, but some weeks I might write my ramblings too (if I don't put them here, they'll end up on bits of paper which will inevitably get lost).

I've started my little project with lattice effect smocking which is something I saw in a magazine ages ago and have wanted to try since but it was one of those things I never got around to doing.


All of my squares are 12" and the smocking has reduced this one to 7"x7" including a 1" border (roughly 60% of the orignal size) and using a 1" grid. This is the tutorial I used.

I do want to use this technique again but it's quite bulky so I'm more likely to use it on something for Faith rather than myself, I'll just have to make sure I line it so she doesn't catch all the stitches on the back.

 

 

Sunday, 4 January 2015

Goals

Hello! It's been a while but I'm (hopefully!) back. Things got pretty busy after summer and the blog just hasn't been a priority. I do have a few things to show you through the next couple of weeks though, so hopefully that will get me back into the swing of it.

I guess now would be a good time to share with you how badly I did with last years goals!

1. Complete the bombshell dress class on Craftsy - I started it last month but didn't have the attention span to sort out all the fitting required. I might go back to it, but I'm not in any hurry

2. Make a pair of trousers that fit well and look good - I didn't do this, but it's not a fail either. I just haven't really worn trousers this year except my jeans a few times. I would much rather wear skirts and dresses

3. Quality over quantity - make fewer things but do them well - well, I've certainly made fewer things and I think they're better quality

4. Complete Goodbye Valentino's RTW fast - check! I feel a bit of a cheat though as it didn't really feel like much of a challenge and most of the things I made last year are things I would have made anyway, with the exception of a swimsuit

5. Put more thought into what I'm making - pattern first, then fabric, and make sure it fits in with my wardrobe - no. Just, no. This was never really going to happen, was it.

This year, I just want to have fun with my sewing and be a bit more creative: I became so focused on wanting to have a handmade wardrobe that I lost some of the fun (probably partly why I haven't been blogging), there are only so many clothes I can wear, and I don't really feel like I'm getting any better.

With that in mind, and armed with the tablecloths from my sister's wedding, I'm going to practice a different creative technique each week of the year and will be blogging about my attempts every Friday and will try and use at least one of the techniques in a garment each month.

I hope you've all enjoyed the holidays, happy new year!