Sunday, 1 June 2014

Final Me Made May round up

Me Made May is officially over for another year and with this being my second year doing it, I decided I needed to up my game by wearing mostly me mades all month.  After I had made my pledge I immediately started panicing - how would I survive a whole month without my trusty jersey pencil skirts and tops that form the basis of my everyday wardrobe?  As it turns out, though, I didn't really miss them much at all.  I mean, there was the odd occasion when I really couldn't be bothered to think about what I was going to wear that day but that's why dresses are so great, and I only had two days when I didn't wear anything me made so I'm happy with that.

links to all clothes can be found on the My Makes page at the top

I don't feel like there were many surprises this year - there were a few items I don't wear very often that I remembered how much I loved (my maxi skirt and Alma) and, unlike last year, there wasn't anything that I realised I don't like.  Nor were there many surprises at which items I wear most - my striped Cambie was worn 6 times and my two wrap dresses were worn 7.  I also spent the majority of the month in dresses (21 dress wearing days) which I guess goes back to the not having to think about it thing.

I actually think the most insightful thing about this May was the things that didn't get worn, which were mainly separates.  Well, tops to be precise.  Of the 17 items of clothing I wore this month only 4 were plain which leads me onto why some things didn't get worn - they don't go with anything else.  I wish I was one of those people who can clash prints and still look amazing, but I just look like I got dressed in the dark so that's not an option for me.

The idea of having a completely hand made wardrobe really appealed to me but after this month I've realised that I don't care enough about achieving that to actually make the basics but I do want the majority of it to be made by me.  Which leads me onto my next realisation - I'm all set for summer (if and when it decides to show its face!) but I'm going to be screwed in winter if I don't start making winter clothing.  I have some things that I can add tights and jumpers to, but I need some nice wintery dresses.  I'm thinking about doing another me made month after summer to really figure out what I need to do.

I hope everyone else's MMMays went well, I've loved seeing everyone's outfits - check out the Flickr group for some great inspiration



9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. My fav outfits are your Georgia and Flora. What fabric did you use for Flora, the full skirt looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think they're two of my favourites as well. The Flora was made with some cotton I found at Abakhan last summer, its wuite a crisp cotton and I love the way it falls (the wind helps too though!)

      Delete
  2. You looked lovely all month, I really like your star wrap dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna, I've got some more of those dresses lined up!

      Delete
  3. May I steal your wardrobe? You look so stylish, colourful, fun in every outfit and I love how you play with silhouettes. I can't even decide on a favourite outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, but what would I wear?! I never think of myself as being stylish or fun so thank you! One of the things I love most about MMMay is that I have to dress properly!

      Delete
  4. I would happily wear your wardrobe too!!! You always looked great everyday. Dresses really are the answer for me most days...not having to think about putting together an outfit is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dresses are phenomenal!!! Those wrap dresses in particular seem to make a great balance of vava-voom and comfort. If you missed jersey skirts and tops but don't feel inspired to make plain ones, maybe you could hunt down some terrific printed jersey for some simple jersey pencil skirts and tops? See you next year for MMMay'15! xx

    ReplyDelete