Saturday, 26 April 2014

Style Arc Ziggi jacket

Biker jackets are something I've always liked the idea of having but neve really thought would suit me so I've left well alone but when Maris announced that she and Stacy were hosting a sewalong of the Style Arc Ziggi (a pattern I had already seen and admired) I did a bit of umming and ahhing then threw my hat into the ring. I don't feel like I've really challenged myself sewing-wise for a while so I went for it. Unfortunately I then fell out of love eith sewing for a while and procrastinated so much that I went into a bit of panic when I realised I only had a week to finish it! (The deadline was then extended to the end of the month, phew!)

I had only got as far as cutting out the patten pieces, but luckily it was the easter holidays so I took Faith round to my mum's and hid myself away in her conservatory to cut fabric. The fabric is some wool type stuff I bought a couple of years ago for a coat that never happened and some satin, both from my stash (the saintliness of using my stash fabric was cancelled out by a late shopping spree though, oops!).

The jacket was surprisingly easy to sew, with a bit of guidance from the sewalong posts, but it was only after I had sewn the front pieces together that I realised I'd forgotten the zips on the pockets. Never mind, I like it without the zips there, they always rub on my hands anyway.

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I didn't muslin it but it fits pretty well as is, next time I just want to take it in at the side seams a bit to make it less boxy.

 

14 comments:

  1. Great jacket. Love the fabric and lining. I like seeing StyleArc pattern feedback - they seem to be great shapes and good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I was a bit worried about the single sized pattern thing but they do seem to fit nicely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that jacket and skirt together. It was a shocking blow of "woah... awesome".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks. I was hoping Stuart would just take phots from the waist up but it looks quite good!

      Delete
  4. That is a great jacket and I love the lining surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a beautiful job on this. I really like the fabric, the colours are gorgeous. I'm sure you'll wear this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've not had much chance to wear it yet, but I'm sure it will become a staple

      Delete
  6. This is a gorgeous jacket, and the fit is so good, especially since there was no muslin! I have a fabric in my stash that looks a lot like that - but it frays like crazy...did yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was surprised by how well it fitted. And yes, it was a nightmare. My mum in particular, hates it - there was a lot of fluff after I'd cut it!

      Delete
  7. Love your choice of fabric for this! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jacket looks amazing! I think I will have to buy this pattern. I used to have a RTW jacket the same shape as this and it got worn to death.

    ReplyDelete