Those By Hand London girls are miracle workers - this is the very first full skirt I've made or bought that Stuart likes - he even agreed I needed more of them! Plus, they got me out of my sewing funk!
To be honest, I wasn't that fussed about the Flora when it was released (I don't tend to wear full skirts) but the more versions of it I saw, the more it grew on me and when the girls posted a tutorial on how to change the straps to rouleau straps, I had a brainwave and took the plunge. Rather than just changing the straps, I chopped off the back bodice under the arm and added rouleau straps in a criss cross pattern (I need to add a couple of tacks to keep them neat).
I was a bit concerned once I'd cut the fabric out because I had forgotten to add any length to the front skirt (a few people have said it is very short) but I'm glad I forgot - it is shorter than I would normally have my skirts, but I love it.
|The obligatory spin|
The fabric is some African wax print style cotton I got in Abakhan when I went to Wales last summer. I had been saving it for a maxi dress but when I got it out a few weeks ago I realised that the pattern was for stretch fabrics only which was a blessing in disguise because I think it suits the Flora much better.
This is actually my second Flora but the first didn't turn out so great so I wanted to save that until I'd done one I had fallen in love with. Will post the first next week.