Friday, 17 January 2014

Creative and Craft blogger meet up

Gah, I'm really late with this week has raced by in a blur of family, tantrums, cleaning and dogs. It's probably my penance for having such a great day on Saturday.

While I've always liked the idea of meeting other bloggers, the majority meet ups I've heard of seem to be in London which isn't really practical for me (plus I've always been a bit too nervous to actually make me want to throw practicality out the window), but back in December I saw on twitter that a meet up was being planned for Nottingham. I was in!

So on Saturday morning I left Faith with her Granny and Grandad (not sure who was more excited!) and caught the train. I managed to find the Lace Market by myself but had to ask a lovely old man from a shop where to find the cafe we were meeting in. Luckily Hannah was outside when I got there so I didn't have to arrive alone. Wired cafe had given us the room downstairs and we all had a chat, timed our tea and gave in to the delicious food. From the moment everyone arrived it was non stop chat about blogging, making, kids and language.

(Photo courtesy of Kelly)


Daire showed us all the book she had created for the documented life project she is doing this year and in the process inpsired us all to give it a go, and to buy loads of washi tape. I have a bit of a head start - I got her gift in the craft swap; a sketch book and a pack of tape to make my own book!


Homecrafts UK had kindly given us each a goody bag, mine had this lovely lot in it:


I am currently attempting to crochet with the salvage yarn and am making small improvements but don't expect to get it done anytime soon, unless I cheat and ask my Gran to do it for me! Faith has already commandeered the fabric - on Sunday it was used as blankets for her teddies and she's decided she wants a skirt made out of it.

After Wired we headed to Cath Kidston where we drooled over their stock (one of these suitcases and these bags very nearly came home with me), were talked through the design process and shown the new look book consisting of 72 designs. I also discovered Cath Kidston is a real person - for some reason I assumed it was just a brand name! Have a look at Kelly's post for more about Cath Kidston.


(Photo courtesy of Sam)

Finally, we went to a jewellry making demonstration at The Bead Shop where we each made a pair of earrings. The most jewellry making I had ever done was threading a few beads on some string, so it was really nice to learn how to make a loop with wire to make a 'proper' looking pair of earrings. I'm really proud of mine and have worn them a few times this week.

(Photo courtesy of Sam)


It was a brilliant afternoon, planned to perfection by Sam and Kat and despite my little wobble the night before, I was so glad I went; I met some lovely bloggers (Sam, Kat, Hannah, Amy, Marie, Kelly and Daire - their blogs are well worth a look), had the best banana bread I've ever tasted and came away buzzing with inspiration.

(Photo courtesy of Sam)

Thank you for a wonderful day ladies, can't wait for the next one.

5 comments:

  1. It was really nice meeting you! I still in awe that you made your own dress, today I had a go at threading my sewing machine and it took me forever!
    Good luck with the crochet =)

    Hannah
    x
    daintyandivory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I need all the luck I can get with the crochet! It was great to meet you too, I'm so glad you've started with your sewing machine - you won't regret it, and believe me it does get better. When I got my first one it took me ages before I could thread it without needing to have the manual next to me in case I forgot something! Can't wait to see what you do with it x

      Delete
  2. Oooh can't wait to see the crochet! I've been handling mine trying to work out if I should just knit it instead but maybe this is my chance to properly get into crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to meet you Sally, I've been reading through your lovely projects and starting the Wardrobe Architect challenge to try and make some everyday sews..Have to do another #ccblogger meet if you are up for it!
    Speak soon, Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Sam, I had a great time, definitely up for another. The wardrobe architect is great, you'll enjoy it - I never realised I had so many feelings attached to why I dress the way I do!

      Delete